16 August 2020 At least fifteen people were killed and dozens injured on Sunday after an explosion by suspected Al-Shabaab militants at the newly built Elite Hotel on Lido Beach in Mogadishu.
So far it’s confirmed that 15 people had been killed and at least 30 wounded in the incident that was followed by gunfire.
Elite Hotel in Lido beach is the newest building at the beach which many residents spend their afternoon after a long day working.
Among the dead was Abdirazak Abdullahi Abdi, a liaison of regional cooperation at Somali Ministry of Information and Mr Dahir Ali Gawl who was staff of ministry of defense.
It’s confirmed that Minister of Labor Galmudug state Mr Ahmed Washington who was seriously wounded at the attack.
The owner of the hotel, who is a member of Parliament and former state minister Mr. Abdullahi Mohamed Nur, was rescued.
Somalia’s security agencies responded to the incident. Gunshots continued to be fired at the facility but it was not clear whether the militants were still attacking the people.
In separate event Alshabaab Targeted convoy of Minister of Education Mr Abdirahman Godah Barre and other government officials traveling to between Dolow and Garbaharey of Gedo region.
Mr Barre escaped unhurt but some officials were injured.
AS activities in Mogadishu in a week
- Personal suicider attack at LUUL YEMENI restaurant resulted 4 death and 3 injuries, Al Shabaab claimed.
- Army base attack in Bar-Ayaan, Mogadishu resulted 11 death and 13 injuries, Al Shabaab claimed.
- Mogadishu Central prison attack resulted 21 killed and 7 injuries, Al Shabaab claimed.
- Waaberi explosion (land mine or Suicide car) resulted 2 killed 3 injuries, Al Shabaab claimed.
- Attack on 10 districts HQs still counting the casualties, Al Shabaab claimed.
- Mortar attack on Turkish-Som base ( around six mortar rounds landed at the base casualties still unknown) Al Shabaab claimed.